Manchester United have an agreement with Brighton to sign
Carlos Baleba who has been pushing for the move.
Michael Carrick’s side have undergone a midfield rebuild this summer having seen the influential Casemiro depart before Manuel Ugarte suffered a serious knee injury.
United last month signed Aston Villa star Youri Tielemans and Chelsea’s Andrey Santos, and PA understands a deal was reached with Brighton for Baleba on Friday night.
The deal is understood to be worth up to £70million, and Brighton have inserted a sell-on clause. Baleba will travel up to Manchester this weekend to finalise the move.
Cameroon international Baleba joined Brighton in 2023 from Lille and the 22-year-old has made more than 100 appearances for the Seagulls in all competitions.
He was not at his best last season following the interest from United, starting only 23 of Brighton’s Premier League games and it was widely felt that he was distracted by interest from United.
The Reds had tried to bring him in a year ago but at that point Brighton were wanting nearer to £100million for the player.
But there was never any doubt that Baleba wanted to move to United.
"For sure, when a young boy reads there is interest from Manchester United with a big, big offer, it might affect him deep, deep down," previously said Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler.
Speaking about United’s transfer business ahead of the Premier League opener against newly-promoted Hull on Saturday lunchtime, boss Michael Carrick said: “I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad.
“We’re certainly working towards that and making the most of the situation that we have, and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.
“Certainly trying to make most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it, and I think we’re in a good way to doing that so far.”
Hurzeler refused to discuss Baleba’s future at a press conference ahead of their clash with Aston Villa, saying: “He’s a Brighton player. I’ll never comment on any rumours that are currently in the media, it’s also something I definitely can’t control.”
Baleba is currently sidelined with an ankle injury suffered in pre-season but it is not expected to keep him out for too long.
He has been given permission by Brighton to now have a medical with United and the transfer is expected to be officially confirmed in the coming days.