Man Utd close in on £70m Baleba deal with medical booked for midfielder

Manchester United Transfer News & Rumours 2024
Friday, 21 August 2026 at 17:29
Carlos Baleba
Manchester United have a medical booked for Carlos Baleba who is set to join in a deal around £70 million.
The midfielder is expected to miss Brighton's game this weekend with a move on the verge of being completed for £65 million plus variables.
United have continued their interest in the Cameroon international from last summer when Brighton were more resistant to a transfer and were insisting on a fee closer to £100 million.
Baleba's form dipped last season, leading Brighton's manager Fabian Hurzeler to suggest that transfer reports had affected him, but United's recruitment team haven't been put off by his displays in 2025/26.
So far this summer, United have made three senior additions. Two of those were Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans, who arrived for a combined £85m, to revolutionise the midfield. Baleba would complete this restructuring.
Baleba would become the club's most expensive signing this summer but it had become clear that United needed to reinforce more ahead of the season where they will have the extra demands of playing in the Champions League.
And manager Michael Carrick has also made it clear that they have been looking for more signings.
"I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad," he said on Thursday. "We're certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.
"You know, I said the same thing to you last time. So yeah, certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. And I think we're in a good way to doing that so far."
Baleba recently suffered an ankle injury but the issue is not thought to be serious. He is expected to be ruled out for a few more weeks, meaning he would not be immediately available to play for United.
United will turn their attention to signing a left-back when a transfer for Baleba is completed. They are known to be tracking Lewis Hall at Newcastle and Myles Lewis-Skelly at Arsenal while Alejandro Balde of Barcelona has also joined those names.

Loading