Michael Carrick says "the aim is to strengthen the squad" further as
Manchester United continue to be linked to Carlos Baleba and a fullback before the end of the transfer window.
United spoke in a press conference ahead of the first Premier League game of the season against Hull with concern from many fans that the club has not reinforced sufficiently to meet the demands of also playing in the Champions League.
“I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad,”
Carrick said when particular areas were put to him.
“We’re certainly working towards that and making the most of the situation that we have, and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.
“Certainly trying to make most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it, and I think we’re in a good way to doing that so far.”
United have bolstered the squad with the signings of Youri Tielemans, Andrey Santos and Karl Darlow, but no first-team arrivals have followed that mid-July flurry.
They have this week stepped up a move for Brighton midfielder Baleba and a deal is understood to be close, but there are still gaps, such as another left-back, that needed to be filled.
United are known to be tracking Lewis Hall at Newcastle and Myles Lewis-Skelly at Arsenal while Alejandro Balde of Barcelona has also joined those names.
Saturday lunchtime’s trip to play-off winners Hull is followed by hosting Championship runners-up Ipswich next Sunday, but Carrick bristled at any suggestion they began with a favourable schedule.
“I think, first of all, for all of us who know this league, there’s no favourable start,” the United boss said.
“I think it’s a tough start – both teams, but not getting past Saturday. I think a newly-promoted team away from home is a tough, tough game.
“I’ve been involved in them in the past so I’m fully aware of what’s at stake, what’s coming at us on Saturday, what we’ve got to be ready for, so it’s not favourable.
“I think it’s an easy thing to throw out there, but it’s pretty ridiculous and we’re certainly not taking it that way at all.”
Summer signings Tielemans and Santos could make their competitive United debuts at the MKM Stadium, where former Hull goalkeeper Darlow looks set to be involved following a medical procedure at the end of last season.
The Wales international trained this week along with Benjamin Sesko and Matthijs de Ligt, who have been dealing with long-term shin and back injuries respectively.
Mason Mount did not take part in Tuesday’s session but could be involved at Hull after missing United’s final two friendlies.
“Matta’s obviously been out for a long period of time, but he’s training and great to have him back,” Carrick said.
“He won’t be involved but he’s in good shape and moving in a good direction, so that’s a good bonus for us, really, at this stage to have him back.
“Ben’s back training, so that’s again another positive. Looking forward to having him back around the group and getting him some minutes as well.
“Then managing Mason a little bit, but he’s very close so it’s touch and go for the weekend, really, if not going into next week.”