Garnacho arrives at Chelsea's training ground after £40m deal agreed with Man Utd

News
by Tim Hanlon
Friday, 29 August 2025 at 16:40
Screenshot 2025-08-29 at 15.39.31
Alejandro Garnacho was at Chelsea’s training ground on Friday in advance of his £40million move from Manchester United, head coach Enzo Maresca confirmed.
A deal was agreed on Thursday between the parties after the 21-year-old was made surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.
He was at Cobham on Friday afternoon to undergo a medical and finalise the move. The deal is for a flat fee with United retaining a 10 per cent sell-on fee clause.
“I know he is around here,” said Maresca. “I don’t know exactly where.”
The winger is set to become the club’s seventh summer signing, not counting those who have been sent out on loan, and will compete with Pedro Neto and fellow new arrival Jamie Gittens for a place out wide, whilst striker Joao Pedro and Brazilian teenager Estevao Willian can also operate on the wing.
Asked how he saw the United academy graduate fitting into his team, Maresca said: “It’s quite clear he’s a winger. I see him as a winger.”
Maresca would not rule out the possibility of more arrivals and departures before Monday’s deadline.
“You can expect anything, the transfer window is open so anything can happen in and out.
“I joined the club one year ago saying I was in love with the squad, and the squad I think is getting better and better so my feeling is exactly the same.”
Chelsea look set to miss out on long-time target Xavi Simons who it is understood has agreed to join rivals Tottenham despite a summer of negotiations between the Blues and RB Leipzig.
Maresca will be without Cole Palmer for Saturday’s west London derby against Fulham at Stamford Bridge.
The 23-year-old, who was not named in Thomas Tuchel’s England squad on Friday for September’s World Cup qualifiers, withdrew from the starting line-up minutes before last weekend’s 5-1 win away to West Ham with a groin problem.
“Cole we need to see day by day,” said Maresca, who confirmed he spoke to Tuchel ahead of the squad announcement but that Palmer’s omission was “his decision”.
The 18-year-old summer arrival Willian was drafted in in Palmer’s absence against the Hammers and gave a wonderful performance on what was his full debut, setting up Chelsea’s third goal which was finished by Enzo Fernandez.
“We are a much much better team with Cole, no doubt,” said Maresca. “But when Cole is not in the game we need to find different solutions. Last week we found it and hopefully we can find it again.”
Maresca said AC Milan can expect a “fantastic professional” once Christopher Nkunku’s move to the San Siro is finalised.
PA understands a deal is almost complete for the France international, who has been unable to secure a regular first-team place under Maresca, for a fee of around £36m.
“He’s a fantastic professional, training very well. The only problem has been in his position there’s Cole, so it was difficult for him to get minutes. They (Milan) can expect fantastic things.”
5 Comments